||Art & Literature
||Letters to the Editor
Note: Links to other sites will open in a new window.
- KNOCKKNOCK" EMAIL MANAGEMENT CD PROGRAM
From Sinbad Network Communications
Tired of all that unwanted spam, porn site invites, redundant "get-rich-quick" schemes, & DVD copying programs? Here's a program that is as good as Yahoo's Spamguard or Hotmail's junk mail filter programs. All you need is:
- Processor -- Intel Pentium class, 90 MHz or higher;
- Operating System -- Microsoft Windows 2000, with the latest Windows service pack and critical updates available from Microsoft Security Web site;
- Microsoft Windows XP;
- Microsoft Windows NT 4.0;
- Windows Millennium Edition (Windows ME); or
- Windows 98.
CD comes with instructional booklet or you can view instructions within the
- INSTITUTE FOR BUSINESS & HOME SAFETY
The Institute for Business & Home Safety (IBHS) is a nonprofit association that engages in communication, education, engineering and research with the mission to reduce deaths, injuries, property damage, economic losses and human suffering caused by natural disasters.
- C.E.R.T. COORDINATION CENTER
Submitted by Helena Dankof
(Foreword by Helena Dankof:
I am forwarding the web page of the CERT Coordinator Center, which
is affiliated with Carnegie-Mellon University in Pittsburgh. They are
considered to be the leading organization in the world, according to
Time magazine, in monitoring worldwide computer viruses and alerting the
public when a danger presents itself. One can sign up for their free,
on-line emergency notification service which I've been getting for
several years. Tell your friends about it. You can also write them for
information and advice when problems present themselves.)
Check out the website for the following subjects, courses, & research
- Vulnerabilities, Incidents Fixes
- Security Practices Evaluations
- Survivability Research Analysis
- Training Education
- Related CERT Contact Information
- CERT Statistics
- Meet the CERT/CC
- CERT/CC Overview and Intruder Trends
- CERT Annual Reports
- Publications by CERT Staff
- Presentations by CERT Staff
- Press Releases
- Employment Opportunities
- Other Sources of Security Information
- The CERT® Advisory Mailing List
- Related Sites
- Using PGP to Verify Digital Signatures
- Downstream Liability for Attack Relay and Amplification
- Cross-Site Scripting Vulnerabilities
- Is There an Intruder in my Computer?
- Home Network Security
- Security of the Internet
- 2002 Internet Security Alliance Conference
- Creating a Computer Security Incident Response Team
- Overview of Managing a Computer Security Incident Response Team
- 2002 Course Brochure
- Social Engineering Attacks via IRC and Instant Messaging
- Multiple vulnerabilities in Oracle Servers
- W32/Gibe Malicious Code
- Double Free Bug in zlib Compression Library
- Vulnerability Notes
- Social Engineering Attacks via IRC and Instant Messaging
- Exploitation of vulnerability in SSH1 CRC-32 compensation attack detector
- Scans and Probes
- Improve Security with Practices Evaluations
- OCTAVE (OCTAVE is a comprehensive risk evaluation that allows you to identify the information assets that are important to the mission of your organization, the threats to those assets, and vulnerabilities that may expose the information assets to the identified threats.)
- SNA Evaluation Method (The Survivable Network Analysis method helps you define and implement system improvements to deal with inevitable intrusions in a proactive manner.)
- CERT Security Practices
- Easel Survivability Simulation (Easel can be used to simulate the effects of cyber attacks, accidents, and failures, and can be used to predict the survivability attributes of complex systems while they are under development, preventing costly vulnerabilities before the system is built.)
- Research Papers
The CERT® Coordination Center (CERT/CC) is a center of Internet security expertise, at the Software Engineering Institute, a federally funded research and development center operated by Carnegie Mellon University. We study Internet security vulnerabilities, handle computer security incidents, publish security alerts, research long-term changes in networked systems, and develop information and training to help you improve security at your site.
- COREL ALL-MUSIC GUIDE!
Aug. 9, 2002
Whether you're a fan of country, jazz, folk, rock or classical music, you'll find complete listings for all your favorite artists and groups in the Corel All-Music Guide! Yours for ONLY $3.98 - FREE Shipping & Handling USA! For Windows
Limited Quantities -
- WHAT TO EAT WHEN YOU'RE SICK
By Sheldon Margen, M.D., and Dale A. Ogar
Sept. 25, 2002
Whether you're a cancer patient or simply have a case of the sniffles, here's how to maintain good nutrition.
- Bug Bear Virus
Sept. 30, 2002
Well most of you know how damaging the klez virus has been to your computers and your email. I am still removing new infections after over 6 months.
Please update your antivirus immediately as the bug bear has just made its way into Alaska. that way we dont have to remove this nasty bug before after you get it.
I have removed several infections already and found out it infected several machines here in Alaska the same day it was discovered.
This Virus will turn off your Antivirus protection, disable your firewall, may print garbage to your networked printers and the biggest tell tale sign is your computer wants to connect to the net on its own as soon as you turn on your computer.
- HEALTH SENSE: WHEN DRINKING WATER MEANS DISASTER
Lecturer at Harvard Medical School
Distributed by Los Angeles Times Syndicate International,
a division of Tribune Media Services.
September 30, 2002
- FREE JEWELRY! - Freshwater Cultured Pearl Bracelet
Oct. 1, 2002
You're going to love this bracelet. Freshwater cultured pearls are unique in design, and beautiful all year long. The feminine style is perfect for work and special occasions. Its easy-on, easy-off functionality is perfect for all ages. No fumbling with clasps! At these prices you can afford to buy them for your entire bridal party.
What a great gift idea! MADE IN USA.
We are giving this great product away for FREE! You only pay Shipping & Handling.
- HOW MUCH ASPIRIN SHOULD YOU TAKE?
From ThirdAge.Com & AP
Oct. 1, 2002
Take just the right amount, and you'll reduce your risk of heart attack and stroke.
- WHEN MEN'S HEALTH DOESN'T COUNT
From Glenn Sacks & Dianna Thompson
Oct. 9, 2002
This column first appeared in the Norfolk Virginian-Pilot (10/9/02). Dianna Thompson is a founder and executive director of the American Coalition for Fathers and Children (www.acfc.org). She can be contacted by e-mail at DThompson2232@aol.com. Glenn Sacks writes about gender issues from the male perspective. He can be reached at Glenn@GlennSacks.com.
- ENVIRONMENTAL MEASURES TRIGGER BALLOT FIGHTS
From John Nagy, Staff Writer
October 10, 2002
A campaign to require labels on genetically-modified foods in Oregon is one of several ballot measure fights that pit consumer rights and environmental groups against corporate interests at the polls on Nov. 5.